Friday, June 23, 2006


AROS becomes fun! After Marco van den Heuvel fixed the AROS binaries of VICE, the C=64 emulator, I downloaded them and gave them a whirl on my AROS box. The box is just a simple 500mhz Pentium 3, but everything ran sweetly with 50fps. So I went about playing Last Ninja 2, my favourite game, and I must say, this is a great addition to the AROS software library. Now I can finally use my box for something else than coding and making graphics!

There are some small quirks. VICE still leaks some memory (a typical problem when operating without memory protection and proper memory management I would guess), and AROS of course does not yet support joysticks or joypads. But no doubt this will change soon, and using the num pad w/ctrl is no problem in the mean time. I'm having fun already =)

Anyway, AROS continues to become a better OS to use every month, and the software library grows. If any of you want to use an Amiga like OS, and maybe develop for it, now is the time to check it out! And remember to volunteer to implement USB Joypad support when Michal Schulz has finished the USB stack! =)

Go here to download VICE for AROS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home