Wednesday, September 27, 2006

As development goes on on Lunapaint, I've started reading some tutorials on bsd socket programming. The reason is that I want to be able to code some network tools for AROS, for starters, to add to the usability of the OS. I've never programmed any network tools before, so it's gonna be an interesting process. Async coding, which is something you need to understand before doing any serious network coding, is something I'm used to doing with Javascript and AJAX, so there's really nothing new in that area, although C has quite a different mentality. But I think I'll have some fun tools on show in a couple of weeks.

I've often thought about making some kind of Web browser, based on HTTP, but not on HTML. I know about all the accessability issues people are having with badly implemented Flash pages and javascripts which are "misbehaving", but that's not a problem I'm having in mind when I think about my own idea. I'm imagining a new visual browser, for people who aren't impeded, like something out of a hollywood movie - or kinda like a graphical BBS client - with animations, music, sound. Not to strike down at people who are blind or have other disabilities preventing them from using such a browser, I'm aiming this at people who want an audio/visual experience, like a movie, a game and so on. Perhaps I could even call it an online diskmag browser. For this I'd need to develop a simple scripting language, preferably based on Javascript, and then some simple way of downloading content. It could be a nice project to develop... although I dunno how much time I would have for it now... Ideas aren't bad though ;-) We will see if I get anything done on it.

I've not yet committed any changes to AROS' Wanderer desktop. I think me and Craid would have to combine forces and talk about it before I start making any serious effort. The Wanderer code is quite clean, so it shouldn't be too hard to modify it and understand it. AROS is seriously lacking in the Desktop area, so it is high in my thoughs from week to week. I'm juggling allot of projects now, so I'm not making any promises. But I'm gonna keep you updated on what's happening.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This can be fun! :-)

As always, great work, great motivation!

Zevs

4:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

have a look at REBOL. It has it's HTTP but not HTML browser, visuals, sounds and very powerful language.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home